Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Tardy

"I like the Ocean. I like water, in general. In fact, I seem to always come back to the lakes in the area-I've even worked on one when I DJ'ed a karaoke boat cruise (which, ironically enough, I get boat sick. Silly.)

"So when I started getting complaints from a certain bed mate about my alarm sounds, it was time for a change Haha, get it?!??! My old alarm would start with a quiet electronic excitement that would gradually crescendo and then, you'd get the typical "Ehhhh Ehhhhh Ehhhhh" noice of what I'd imagine an old 50's alarm clock would sound like. (That's right. I figured out how to make my blog interactive. You're welcome.)

"Anyhoo, the Bass Player was all, "Ick! That's the worst sound in the world!" And since he typically woke up cranky, I figured the least I could do was to change to something we both could tolerate. Lucky, my Blackberry had this alarm! At first, it reminded me of being at his parents lake house on a summer day with the bedroom windows open, waking up to the gentle lapping of waves that had come to shore just to say, "Good morning, Cydney. That's right. It's time to wake up. Not too abruptly, though. Just....gently. Oh! Look! Here's a boat! It's a biggish boat, and it wants you to wake up, too! There you go..." Except if you let it go too long, the boat starts sounding like it's going to come into your house. Which, ironically enough, is the exact moment that the horn stops sounding like a friendly big boat and starts sounding more like an 80's alarm clock sound. It's like they know!

"Let's recap: I had my perfect alarm sound. It woke me up with excitement! If it had a voice, it would've said, "Check this day out! Yes!! You want to! This day is going to be amazing and awesome and busy and wonderful and you are going to accomplish so much everything if you just wake up!" There was no missing it. But now, I wake up because I think I'm at the beach (disappointment #1: I'm not) and that random boats care about me waking up (#2: they do not). Also, sometimes it just exacerbates the issue that I have to pee (don't lie. Water sounds do that to everybody).

"What's more is that now, I have apparently mastered the art of reaching over and dismissing the alarm while still asleep!

"Please know that I will be changing back to the original alarm sound as soon as I am done writing this... "

...and that kids, is what I wrote on the "why is your kid tardy?" note that got sent home to me yesterday. It seemed more cause-challenge-solution than, "My son needs to stop missing the damn bus" did! Hopefully, the attendance lady at least gets a chuckle!

No comments:

Post a Comment