I realized the other day that in less than a month, I'll be seriously close to 30. That set about as well with me as getting a colonoscopy (which is to say, No, not okay!). But I am happy for lots of thing that age has afforded me. Here's a few...
I live in a nicer place. Seriously, my apartments have gotten far better since I started at 17. In fact, I have no idea how I'm going to top this one that I live in now! And while most of my peers are doing the house thing, I'm not sure if I will every be ready. At least not while I'm alone with a child and dog. Give me five more years or the right person, and we'll see what happens.
I drive a sweet ass car. Seriously, love my car. It's not a sports car or mega expensive, but I can fit my equipment in the trunk and I have a sunroof. Winning.
My son is SEVEN! Holy crap, that's awesome and scary. I have eleven more good years of being his best friend and mentoring him as much as I am humanly capable. He's my favorite person to hold a conversation with. Best yet, I'm young enough to still be able to run, jump hop and skip with him, and he's learning life lessons with me.
I can pay my bills, care for my son, handle having a dog and keep plants alive! Seventeen year old me once went three months without getting her mail. One day, the lights didn't work, which wasn't what got me. It was the hot water heater stopping! Either way, the money was in the bank account (thank God) and we learned why exactly we get the mail *every* day.
Less hangovers, both physically and metaphorically. True, I drink far less (hardly ever) but even the choices I've made have improved greatly! Even the bad ones are less bad... they more often or not fall into the "unfortunate" category :)
I found a job that I love, am great at and can sustain myself on. This falling into place was a million times better than meeting the man of my dreams. It has helped me understand myself more and fight less to conform. I am not "normal", but there is a place in this great big world just for me.
Most importantly: I found me. Somewhere between 20 and now, I know exactly who I am. What I like, what I don't.Which things I can tolerate and which things I won't. I know that I have a freakish addiction to ice cream, but only from ice cream stands. That I have to bathe every day to feel human. That I am capable of navigating through life trusting my gut instincts and checking them against what I think and feel. I know I have a strong body that hikes, bikes, swims, and fights. I know that I can carry a 4.0 while working a full time job and being active in the PTA of my son's school. I know my diet, my fitness requirements. I know what interests me and what bores me to tears. I know my boundaries and limitations; when to cut someone who's a terrible influence out of my life. Hell, I know my weaknesses...the things that I have to improve on, the goals I've set for myself to reach in the future.
30, almost 30. Doesn't seem so bad. I've covered a lot of miles... and I'm more than glad to be exactly where I am.

No comments:
Post a Comment