During my work time last night, some chick approached me trying to be catty. Very snarkily, she said: "You're one of those fun, super pretty DJs..." to which I replied, "Awww!!! Thank you!" in a warm, heartfelt manner. Because I honestly thought she was comlimenting me! It wasn't until she gave me the stink eye that I realized "fun" and "pretty" were supposed to be demeaning, somehow. Forgive me, but I still don't see it!
Of course, I do my hair and make up and dress well for my job! I have a long standing engagement there, and I always want to put my best foot forward. Apparently, she had-a long time ago-held the same position as I...at the same place. I let her do her fair share of bragging and did my part to nod and smile. I never understand why people have to talk down what they feel threatened by. Wouldn't it be so much more fun and helpful if we complimented and appreciated, instead? Maybe she thought I was dumb and didn't get the insult...but I'm not dumb, not by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I'm smart enough to realize that the best thing you can do in some situations is smile and be kind.
Most of the time, though, I was just thinking, Awwww! She called me pretty! :D

Yay! U didn't let a bitter person get u down! Love ya! :)
ReplyDeleteI do declare this is not about me... for if you say it is I shall call you "LIIIIIIAR!!" LOL... seriously though. It wasn't me.
ReplyDelete