Tomorrow...is a big day.
About 280 Million Turkeys have been purchased just for tomorrow. I, for one, will be bringing some cheesecake cups in really fancy wrappers to my wonderful boyfriend's parent's home. And, I will also be bringing...
My son!
Hmmm.
Ok. I should state at this point that my boyfriend and son are still kinda figuring each other out. I've been very careful to keep them somewhat segregated. I kinda have to. They get along well enough, but my track record with men has been...well, not so great. I don't want my little guy getting attached to anyone before I know it's safe to. Plus, boyfriend is not really looking to be anybody's surrogate father right now-which is ok, since my son has an amazing dad...and also, at seven, my son doesn't need another father. We've pretty much left it at the fact that they should be friendly, but not super involved. I think, at five months, that's very fair.
And whoa, do they get along...
But let's face it. The last time my son met a boyfriend's 'rents was...well, my ex husband's. Yeah. Add to the fact that M's father and I have always had a more...well,... liberal (?) way of raising our son? And...well,...Kevin was raised pretty conservatively.
Case in point: my son not only knows swear words, he corrects other kids on their spelling of them.
See where I'm going with this?
Trust me. If there's one thing I have more confidence in than my parenting ability, it's my son's ability to overcome it! He's an amazing person with great manners and a wonderful intuitive part of him that seems to make him adapt to different and new situations better than I do. He will be just fine.
It's me. I will probably have hives by the time we arrive! And I don't know if it's because I feel like I've failed him by raising him to be in situations less formal, or that I wish I could just sit back and go with it. Have faith that between my son and I, we will get through this.
I know this will all be ok. I'm excited to see M interact with the boyfriend's nephews-whom he has so much in common with! I'm excited that the boyfriends family thought to invite my son and I to this very special holiday celebration. I'm grateful for so much, I need to stop worrying about everything else!
But...Just in case... I went out and bought M a new sweater :) Hey, can't hurt!
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment